2.02.2010

A Single Man



The Oscar nominations were announced this morning and was I the only one to be surprised to see that A SINGLE MAN didn’t get a nod for Art Direction? What is up with that?

I saw this movie for a second time last week and still can’t get over how gorgeous every single frame of it was. You of course, expect this with Tom Ford at the helm, but he has such an exact eye for detail that he creates this incredibly lush platform for the story that is still simple and minimal at the same time.

Based on the Christopher Isherwood novel of the same name, A SINGLE MAN is the story of an English professor attempting to get through the day despite the recent loss of his partner. Colin Firth (who did get a nomination this morning) plays that English professor and does it so well and acutely that I can’t really imagine anyone else in the role. (Nevermind the fact that it’s very difficult to dislike Colin Firth in anything.).

I keep describing the film to people who haven’t seen it as “quiet” and “beautiful”, but that’s so lame, I should really be able to do better than that. So I’m doing it here. What I should say is that it feels like looking through your friend’s perfectly assembled photo album of beautiful Polaroids while they tell you the story of their broken heart. There, that’s better, isn’t it?

No comments:

Post a Comment