3.22.2010

Music Love



A little part of my heart will always belong to New York. This coupled with my love of Bryan Greenberg and so many things HBO has me watching (despite a few reservations) “How To Make it in America”. I might be the only one amongst my fellow HBO devotees, but I’m not fully enamored with it – I find sidekick Cam (Victor Rasuk) incredibly annoying. However, what I will say, is that the music supervisor for this show is absolutely on fire. From the old soul (Otis Redding, Shirley Ellis) and new soul (Aloe Blacc, Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings, Lee Fields & the Expressions) to the 80s throwbacks (Hall and Oates, Bronski Beat, Missing Persons!) and the new New Wave (Bag Raiders), I can’t get enough. I am in love.

Should I be surprised that it’s Scott Vener (music sup for "Entourage") at the helm once again? No, not at all. But where the standouts on Entourage tend to skew towards a more testosterone-driven rap/hip-hop direction (understandably), I’m feeling a different throw-your-arms-open-there’s-room-for-everyone kind of love with the choices for HTMIIA. And that’s just the kind of music-lover I am.

When someone does this job this well, I just can’t help but go where the story wants to take me, and there have been times, without question, where I actually felt like I’d step out of my door and walk right out into the Lower East Side.

With only two episodes left for the season, just know that if Roxy Music turns up, that somewhere out there, I will be grinning ear to ear and shaking my head, overwhelmed with goodness and approval. It will be just the kind of TV-viewing/music marriage I’ve been waiting for.

No comments:

Post a Comment